Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Rumah Johor - Website Research

Among other things, graphic designers are required to know how to design websites. Because website making softwares such as Dreamweaver are not readily available for us to use, we will be designing a virtual (read: fake, not actually accessible) informational website. What will be our topics? Well.

On the 15th and 16th of August, my classmates, fellow architecture students, juniors, and I went to Melaka to research subjects for our website design. There, we visited Mini Malaysia, a tourist spot where you can observe the various types of traditional Malaysian houses. As a cultural park, they display different types of houses representing each state, along with various activities that will teach you more about Malaysian culture. Here, we are tasked to take pictures of the houses that may be our subject for our websites.

Outside of Mini Malaysia

Rumah Kedah (House from state of Kedah) 
Rumah Negeri Sembilan (House from the state of Negeri Sembilan)

Rumah Melaka (House from the state of Melaka)

Rumah Sarawak (House from the state of Sarawak)

At first I wanted to browse through every house to see which one I'm most interested in. Realizing we were short of time, I decided that I would go with the house from a state which my parents were born and raised in - Rumah Johor. It was the easiest for me, as I would be able to point out the details which makes the house unique, because I had stayed in one during our Eid celebrations for every year of my 19 years of life. It was also clear that my classmates were also aiming to pick their own state of origin's house. So I took off my shoes to enter the first house throughout the whole trip.





The veranda

Entering the house

Rumah Johor, or better known as Rumah Limas, is mostly found in Johor, Selangor and Terengganu. 'Limas' means the shape of a bucket or takir made of banana leaves or sheaths and are shaped tapered upwards like a pyramid.

Rumah Limas architecture emphasizes on ventilation, lighting and security. The house is built quite high above ground level to prevent water entering during floods or wild animals entering at night. Engravings on each window not only serves as a decoration but also to facilitate light and air into the house.

Most Rumah Limas in Johor have 'kolong' that is the bottom of the house that serves as a place to store the goods. In addition, Rumah Limas in Muar usually has an additional structure, namely the addition of a fence at the bottom of the house to guard or cover the 'kolong'; hence such houses are commonly known as Rumah Baju Kurung. The living porch of Rumah Limas is also bigger and wider as it serves as a place to entertain guests and do work such as repairing nets.

Here are a few details that I managed to shoot during the trip.

Roof skirting

Engraved wooden furniture

Table engraving details

Chair engraving details

Rumah Limas often are designed for the best ventilation

My father used to tell me about these. The irony that they used a florescent light in reality hah.

Window carvings

Traditional switch and plug point.


And that's all from me today. Unfortunately, I feel that I did not take enough pictures of the space of the house. I wish we could have stayed a bit longer, but I will work with what I have to its upmost potential. Future updates on this research will be posted so stay tuned!

-Elyna Mahzan, out.

No comments:

Post a Comment