Wednesday, September 30, 2015


When we found out that we were going to get the week off, I'm sure all of us knew that it wasn't going to be a holiday much, or at all, with all the subjects we were taking. That, of course includes our Art and Design subject. Ultimately, we had to finish up a number of things which include our website pages, vector portraits, our logo rationale, our stationary items and our product layouts.

Without further ado, here's how I spent my holidays last week.

1. Website Pages

For my website, I settled with the domain "," which symbolizes my website's purpose, to educate its visitors regarding the whereabouts of animals in Melaka, very well. For this assignment, I used Adobe Illustrator CC (2015) and Clip Studio Paint. Below are a few screenshots of my progress so far.

This is the loading page. It is supposedly interactive, and the goat will be snoring, and the bubbles would float away and pop continuously until you click on it.
This is the homepage of the site. You will be greeted by caricatures of the animals that will be shown. Each drawing is a button that tilts a bit when you hover over it. A small summary of the website will be typed onto the food shown.

Here is the author page demo. As you can see, I used the same animals shown as icons, but drew them as a whole. After consulting with Ms. Ida, we decided it was better if I used the same icons as the one on the home page. She also recommended that I use my own handwriting as the font for the site, seeing as it looks much nicer than the generic font I used above.

2. Vector Portraits

Yeah, about my insecurities? I tried to get over it. This assignment was really one of the more challenging ones I've ever done so far. As I have mentioned in a previous post before, the style I have decided to try out with the vector portrait assignment is the geometric style or WPAP. It seemed like a challenge back then, and my sweat from all the Illustration action became the proof for this. Below are snapshots of the portrait.

In this screenshot, you can see my favorite part of the portrait, the hand. It's very minimal, but the geometric shapes and colors look like they made sense, and I am really happy with how it turned out. The beanie was also alright, and the top of the sleeve was fun, but super challenging, with the folds and crannies. My glasses took me nearly 2 days to finish!

Here is the full version of my progress so far. I'm glad with how most of it turned out, but I still need to find a way to make my hair and face blend in without making me look less of a human being.

3. Logo Rationale

Finally finished my logo AWWWWW YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA---

Who's a proud mama? I'm a proud mama. Onto serious business, now that I've finalized my company's logo, I finally got to finish up my rationale and my stationary items. The rationale was actually fun to do, and I got to release my inner nitpicker and perfectionist that most people don't see.

This screenshot shows the second page of the rationale. Ms. Ida consulted with me regarding the pages, and dutifully reminded me of the existence of page margins and bleeding. I'll have to fix those.

Pretty colors.

4. Stationary Items

With my rationale settled, my stationary items were dying to climb out into the real world. I had trouble thinking about what sort of designs I wanted to go for, and decided I would like to play with color negatives and positives, so here are the designs that I came up with.

This was the first card I had in mind. It features a large grain image that is essential to my company. Pretty boring, but I like how simple and easy on the eyes it is.

For these ones, I finally utilized both sides of the card, making one side positive (which include my name, position, contacts, etc.) and the other side is negative and includes my company's promise.

In the end, this card proved to be the best. It's simple, looks elegant, but still fun. It, again, utilizes the company's signature grain, but as a background image. I will also use the same concept as the design that came before it, as I will make the back of the card in negative, with my company's promise as well.

This is my first envelope. I wanted to use the same negative image concept, but after looking at it for a long while, I felt that it was too... Nickelodeon for my tastes. No offense to Nickelodeon, I love their shows to death, but I wouldn't want to plagiarize them.

This is my second envelope. The design was more well thought-out, but it still seemed like something was missing. After the consultation and review did I realize that I haven't designed the back of the envelopes, and that I was getting it all wrong. What I need to do is make the envelope match my card a bit more. These designs look so out of place.

Alas, my letterhead. It's the simplest of them all, and there's not much to say about it. My grains are there, and so is my logo. I might think up of a few more designs, though, since I'm not so sure if I'll stick with this one.

5. Product Layout

My product layout has been put on hold for a while, seeing as I've yet to finalize my mascot's design and colors. Plus, the logo that I have now hasn't been digitalized as of yet. That being said, I already have the design in plan, including the measurements, photography and tracing required. All that's left to do is execution, which I plan to do as soon as my mascot is brought into the digital world!

Wish me luck, and godspeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment